It can be a worry when you walk past your central air unit and see water gushing or leaking out of your system. Perhaps you have noticed pools of water sitting around your outdoor unit and on second thought you probably realized that’s not normal.
There can be many reasons why water may be leaking out of your air conditioner, and not all of them are a cause for alarm. However, knowing why the water is leaking can help you decide whether you need to call for repairs or not.
What to do When Water Is Leaking from Your Air Conditioner
Whether or not to worry about the water coming from your AC unit depends on a couple of things. Here are some reasons why you may be seeing water and what you can do about it.
- If it is a hot day or the humidity is high and you notice a small amount of water that is coming from or near the condensate drain pipe, don’t worry. This is normal when the AC unit has to work over time. Monitor the situation and if it gets worse or persists you may need to call an expert.
- If you have a small puddle that is surrounding your outside unit this could be a normal part of your AC’s process. Once again monitor the situation and call if it get’s worse.
- If water is pouring out of the condensate drain pipe you may have a frozen coil. This can be the result of restricted air flow due to a dirty filter. Turn your system off for 2 – 3 hours, replace the filter with a clean one. If the problem persists once you have turned your system back on you will need to call for repairs.
- If water is leaking out of your AC unit persistently you may have a crack in your systems condensate drain pan. You will need to have this fixed so that further problems don’t arise.?
- A clogged condensate drain pipe or pan can also cause water to overflow out of your system. You will need to diagnose where the problem is coming from and have the drain pipe or pan cleaned and replaced if necessary.
As you can see many water issues can stem from your AC’s condensate pipe and pan. If you feel like the problem is persisting or the amount of water you are seeing is increasing, it is a good idea to have your system checked by an expert.
Call Rick’s Heating & Cooling for AC Repair in Ohio
The team at Rick’s Heating & Cooling can help you keep your AC system in great shape. A system that runs well is a system that can effectively cool your home on even the hottest of days. Contact our team of experts today if you are in need of air conditioning repair, replacement or maintenance. We are a full service HVAC company located in Morrow, Ohio and can service homes and businesses throughout the Cincinnati area.