The start of a new year is a great time to revisit your habits and lifestyle, making note of realistic changes that can improve your comfort, safety, or quality of life. When it comes to your home, a great place to focus is on your HVAC system, where a little extra effort can yield big results! The HVAC system is the heart of every home, and when properly maintained, it helps keep your family warm during the winter months and cool in the summer with clean, efficient, conditioned air.
Keeping These Heating & Cooling Resolutions in 2017
Need a little help with your list of HVAC resolutions? Rick’s Heating & Cooling can help you get started with this comprehensive checklist to help maximize efficiency, decrease your energy bills, and increase the safety and comfort of your home.
1. Change your air filter. Inspect your air filter every four to six weeks during peak heating or cooling season, replacing it as needed. This filter serves a number of important functions, including:
- Trapping particles such as dirt, dust, dander, and mold spores and preventing them from recirculating throughout your indoor air.
- Helping to extend the lifespan of your HVAC system by preventing harmful particles from clogging up your system, causing unnecessary wear and tear on parts, and driving up energy bills.
2. Schedule annual maintenance. Routine annual maintenance in the spring and fall helps to prepare your HVAC system for the upcoming season. The professionals at Rick’s Heating & Cooling will inspect, clean, and tune your equipment, helping to prevent costly repairs and mid-season breakdowns and increase efficiency.
3. Enroll in a maintenance plan. With a Service Maintenance Agreement from Rick’s Heating & Cooling, you can save on the cost of service and repairs, enjoy priority scheduling, receive reminders for annual maintenance, and more!
4. Set your thermostat. A programmable thermostat can help you save throughout the year, as it automatically adjusts the temperature in your home according to your schedule. Be sure to change your settings each spring and fall to reflect outdoor temperatures, and change from “Heat” to “Cool” as needed.
5. Perform periodic checks. Visually inspect the area around indoor and outdoor equipment, removing debris, and trimming grass and foliage around the outdoor unit. Look for signs of leakage, rust, or other damage, and call for repairs when necessary.
6. Change your batteries. Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors help to protect your home and family. They should be tested twice a year (we suggest doing it when you change the clocks for daylight savings time!) changing out the batteries as needed.
7. Consider upgrading. Heating and cooling equipment has an average lifespan between 10 and 15 years, and even more if properly maintained. However, should energy bills begin to steadily rise, you notice a lack of comfort, or your equipment requires frequent and costly repairs, it may be time to upgrade to a newer, more energy efficient system.
Call Rick’s Heating & Cooling For HVAC Maintenance or Repair in Ohio!
The experienced team at Rick’s Heating & Cooling can help you keep all your HVAC resolutions, with Service Maintenance Agreements, over three decades of service in the Cincinnati, Ohio area, and a dedication to customer service and satisfaction. Call us today at 513-899-6005 or contact us online to schedule an appointment!