The end of the summer can be bittersweet. With kids going back to school, the Cincinnati Bengals and Ohio Buckeye games starting, and the Red’s season coming to a close, the last thing you might be thinking of is preparing your heater for winter. However, for proper efficiency this season, you should have maintenance to your heater by an HVAC professional to ensure all parts are checked and ready for use this winter.
But, when should you schedule your HVAC contractor to maintenance your heating system? Below we have outlined tips for scheduling your heating maintenance this fall.
What Is Heating Maintenance?
Maintenance for your heating system is more than checking to make sure the system works. HVAC contractors check specific parts within your heating system to make sure everything is functioning, lubricated, and clean. Contractors make sure each of the following are done before they turn on your furnace:
- Air filters are replaced
- Moving parts are lubricated
- Electrical connections are tightened
- The blower is cleaned
- Condensate drain is freed from clogs
- Thermostat is checked so that working properly
- Fuel connections and gas pressure is secured
After those items are confirmed working properly, the technician will then turn on the heating system to assure it is functioning safely and efficiently.
Why Heating Maintenance Is Important
Whether you have an oil furnace, gas furnace, or heat pump having a heating system that is not working correctly can be extremely dangerous and costly. There are several risks with a neglected furnace, including:
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: If your furnace is dirty and has not been properly serviced, it could potentially be producing carbon monoxide, which can be extremely dangerous for you and your family.
- Shortened Lifespan: Regularly having your heating system maintenance can extend the lifespan of your system, saving you money in the long-run.
- Higher Energy Bills: If your heating system is not properly maintained, it could be running inefficiently, resulting in higher energy bills.
- More Breakdowns: The last thing you would want is your heater to breakdown during a snow storm. Regular maintenance helps prevent unwanted breakdowns all winter long.
Scheduling Heating Maintenance
Heating maintenance should be scheduled before the heating system is turned on. In Ohio, the weather can be unpredictable. One day it could be sunny and warm and the next day can be raining and cold. This is why we suggest scheduling heating maintenance at the end of summer or very beginning of fall. This way, you can ensure your heater will not need turned on and you will be prepared for the chilly days ahead.
Schedule Your Heating Maintenance in Ohio
If you are located in the southwestern region of Ohio and are looking to get heating system maintenance before the cold months begin, contact Rick’s Heating & Cooling! Since 1986, we have been the premier source for HVAC services, including heating system installation, repairs, and replacements.
Contact the HVAC professionals today to schedule to appointment!