If you turn your furnace on only to realize that there are odd smells coming through the vents this could be due to many reasons. It is important to recognize that these smells are not normal and often calling a heating specialist is the best thing to do.
Types of Furnace Odors
There are a few different odd smells that you may experience coming from your furnace, these can include:
If you smell gas coming from your furnace, it is important to call your local gas company and leave the property immediately.
Reasons for Furnace Odors
Now that you have recognized that there is an odd smell coming through your vents you likely want to know why this smell is occurring. Here are common reasons your vents are letting these smells into your home.
- Musty Odors – musty odors should never be ignored, this could be due to a build-up of mold and mildew in your vents. If you have a humidifier there may also be mold build-up in the tray. If the humidifier is the cause of the problem you can use a vinegar solution to clean the tray. If you have mold in your heating and cooling vents, you will need to call a professional.
- Burning – if you have a constant burning smell, it could be due to something that has been dropped down into the vents, small objects can easily fall through the register and into your home’s vents. Liquids can also find their way down into the vents, causing burn off. Vents will need to be cleared and cleaned to stop the burning smell. These would be the less complicated reason for a burning smell. More serious issues such as a furnace that is overheating may also cause these burning smells.
- Oil – oil furnaces have a filter inside them that can sometimes get clogged. This will cause an oil smell to come through your vents and won’t be remedied until the filter has been changed.
- Smoke – a smoky smell can occur when you have a chimney that is blocked or clogged. When this happens smoke finds its way through your furnace and then out your vents and into your home. It is important to have your chimney checked and cleaned on a regular basis.
- Gas – if you get the smell of gas it could be due to a gas leak in your furnace. This could lead to a very dangerous situation. Call the gas company then leave your home until it is fixed.
Contact Rick’s Heating and Cooling for Furnace Repair in Morrow, Ohio
If you notice strange smells coming from your furnace in Morrow, Ohio, contact the team at Rick’s Heating & Cooling today for furnace repair.