An air conditioner is a big investment, so we know that you want to make sure yours is working properly all summer long! In addition to scheduling regular air conditioner tune-ups to make sure your system is running smoothly, the easiest thing that you can do on your own to keep your AC in tip-top shape is to clean or replace your air filter regularly.
How often is “regularly,” you ask? Well, it depends on a few different factors! Read on to learn more about how often you should be cleaning or replacing your air conditioner’s air filter based on your lifestyle and the different features of your Ohio home.
Factors That Determine How Often You Need to Clean or Replace Your Filter
The simplest explanation is that you should change or clean your air conditioner’s filter when it’s dirty—but if you’re like many Ohio homeowners, there’s a chance you don’t know how to tell if your filter is dirty.
If that’s the case, you can figure out how often you should be cleaning or changing your air filter based on the answers to the following questions.
- How many people live in your home?
- How many pets do you own?
- Do you smoke cigarettes in your home?
- What’s the air quality like in your city?
- Do you suffer from allergies?
- What kind of air filter do you have?
If your air filter is the usual 1-inch to 3-inch variety, you should usually try to change it once every other month to be on the safe side. However, you may need to change them more often if you have several pets or smoke cigarettes in your home, since the air filter can get clogged faster based on those factors. However, if you have few people in your home and live in a city with good air quality, you may not need to replace your air quality more than once every three months.
If you’re still unsure how often you should be replacing your air filter, the easiest solution is to call the experts at Rick’s Heating & Cooling. Our skilled and experienced technicians will help you determine how often you need to replace your air filter—and we can even do it for you!
Contact us online or call us at 513-899-6005 with your air filter concerns today.
Why You Should Be Regularly Replacing Your Air Filter
Many of the air conditioner repairs we are called in for can be traced back to clogged or dirty air filters! Just by scheduling regular air conditioner maintenance and replacing your air filters on a consistent basis, you can significantly reduce the risk of air conditioner breakdowns.
A dirty air filter causes a variety of issues for your air conditioner.
- Decreased air flow – Your air filter is meant to improve your home’s indoor air quality by removing debris that enters your system, like dust, dirt, pet hair, and more. If your air filter is dirty, its clogged screen will decrease airflow in your home, which can cause your unit to run for extra-long periods of time. This can decrease comfort levels in your home and increase the amount you’re paying in energy bills!
- Higher temperatures – If your air filter is clogged and your airflow is reduced, cool air can’t circulate properly from room to room, so the temperature in your home will increase. This will make you and your family uncomfortably warm in the Ohio summer heat!
- Lower energy efficiency – With your unit working longer and harder to keep your home comfortable (and often failing to do so), its energy efficiency will decrease, costing you more in energy bills and worsening its impact on the environment.
If you still have questions about changing your air filter, or you require assistance doing so, contact Rick’s Heating & Cooling online or give us a call at 513-899-6005 today. We’ll help you change the air filter in your Ohio home to keep you and your family cool throughout the remainder of the summer!