Every spring, the Ohio weather starts shifting from cold to hot. It’s around this time when many people turn on their air conditioner for the first time in months. Taking good care of your AC system requires a few steps before switching your thermostat from heating to cooling.
Consider these steps before you make the switch. You can keep your system working well all summer with the right steps.
Tips To Consider Before Changing Your Thermostat
Your air conditioner has been off for nearly six months or even longer, so it’s best to ensure your system is ready to operate regularly again. Before you start using your AC every day, be sure to:
- Change the batteries in your thermostat: If your thermostat has a battery, it’s a good idea to install a new one to ensure it works well all season.
- Replace the air filter: Swapping out your air filter will ensure the cleanest air possible when your AC runs.
- Uncover your outdoor unit: If you cover your outdoor unit to protect against the elements, make sure it’s uncovered before running your AC.
- Hose down the outside unit: Spraying water over the outdoor unit can rinse any dust or debris collected throughout the fall and winter.
- Run the air conditioner for a short time: Turn on your AC unit on a cool day and run it for an hour or two rather than bringing it into service for a full day after months of no use.
- Schedule a system tune-up: Set a date for a professional HVAC technician to check your entire system before running your AC daily.
Taking these precautions can help ensure your air conditioner doesn’t run into major issues and keeps you cool all summer.
Signs You Need Air Conditioner Repair Services
Sometimes when you first run your AC in the spring, you notice that the system isn’t working as it did before. You may need to call an HVAC technician to fix your system if:
- Your property doesn’t cool evenly.
- Your AC unit smokes or sparks when it’s running.
- Your energy bill spikes more than usual when using your air conditioner.
- You haven’t had your AC unit checked for over a year.
- You haven’t replaced your AC units in over a decade.
Don’t run a failing air conditioner and risk causing more issues. Talk with an expert HVAC technician to get your system running right.
Count on Us To Service Your AC System
For over 35 years, Rick’s Heating & Cooling has provided the Morrow, OH, region with the best HVAC services. Our crew comprises certified, licensed, insured HVAC technicians who have seen it all. If your air conditioner is running into issues after months of being off, we’re the team to solve the problem.
Schedule air conditioner repair or replacement services today by calling 513-899-6005 to get your system working like new.